Things are starting to feel normal now. During the first two weeks, I was in this state of mind where everything was brand new and so exciting. I was kind of shocked and amazed with everything that was going on around me. This past week my thoughts have been settling; I´m realizing I don´t need a map anymore, I'm completing homework, I'm building relationships with patients at my internship and I'm actually able to listen and comprehend the majority of what people say to me!
Classes are going well. I have five classes with all female professors, they're so fun! My classmates are only from Loras, no other international students are with us in class.
-Composition and Portfolio
-Tradition and culture in Contemporary Galicia
-Culture and Civilization
-Spanish Language
-Varieties of Spanish
My favorite class is probably Tradition and Culture in Contemporary Galicia or Spanish Language because the professors are so nice and well the Spanish Language class is pretty easy and the Tradition class is really interesting. So far we haven't dove into much of the traditions but the introductions have showed us a lot of great places to travel inside the region of Galicia, where I live.
Outside of the classroom, the program I'm a part of takes us on mini excursions throughout the city every Wednesday night. The first Wednesday we went on a tour around the Cathedral and learned about the history of how the cathedral and all the surrounding buildings were built.
| Convent of Saint Francis |
| cathedral again |
This was the night that I met all the other international students attending classes at the University of Santiago de Compostela. People from Saudi Arabia, Brasil, Japan, South Korea, and more from the US. We quickly connected and that weekend we all went out to the discotecas together. It is so cool to talk with them, first of all because I'm forced to speak in Spanish and secondly because they were born in such a different culture and their viewpoints are so different than mine! I had one conversation with a guy from Saudi Arabia; we talked about equality between men and women and what it's like for women in his country from his viewpoint. He said women are treated like royalty, and they are comfortable having to cover up their entire bodies except their eyes, anytime they're out of the house. ...what a different world.
With the program at the university, I am required to complete 50 hours of service and 85 hours at an internship they set up for us according to our major.
I've clocked 15 hours so far at a Physical Therapy Clinic, called Fisiogal, (the Spanish word for physical therapy is fisioterapia). I sit at the front desk and greet the patients and sometimes I get to assist the physical therapists with different tasks. This internship is probably my favorite experience so far in Spain. I'm learning a lot about how the clinic functions. I can really see myself working at a clinic similar to this in the future. This is one activity that really challenges my Spanish skills, many times when patients walk in they don't know that I'm not fluent, yes I don’t look like a native Spaniard, but they start speaking to me very rapidly and it's quite the challenge. The physical therapists are extremely nice and accommodating, so I never feel uncomfortable. The two I work with are also very young so it's fun to be in this atmosphere. I'm just so happy at this internship!!!
Friday I started my community service. I'm volunteering at a mental institute where different classes are offered for people with mental disabilities. Friday morning I attended a literature class for more advanced people who like to read. Friday afternoon I attended a class which helped people practice daily chores such as cleaning and making a grocery list. It was a tough day and now I need to decide which class I would prefer to help with. I think I liked the afternoon class better it's just inconvenient to have something scheduled on a Friday afternoon when I don't have class in the morning and I want to travel.
Speaking of traveling…
Yesterday, Saturday, the whole Loras group and one new friend we made who is also from the US went on a day trip to a city on the western coast called Vigo. It was a little chilly but the sunshine never stopped, we all got a little sunburnt on our faces! :)
Our day consisted of mostly basking in the sun, admiring the beautiful ocean and shopping. We could find a beach, I think it was too far away to walk to. I learned that when I go on a day trip I want to do something more than just shop; it got old fast. We weren't very prepared for the trip, we should have researched cool things to do like visit an art museum or take a boat ride, but it was still fun. Here are some photos of the views we had along the water :)
| palm trees in the street, ocean in sight! |
| My classmate Alice and I soaking up the sun |
| failed to capture them when they were out on the water |
The ocean looks so pretty! I bet is was a nice change from the rain :) Glad you're liking your internship!!!
ReplyDelete